Wednesday 24 June 2020

Lockdown week 13 - the one with all the fish 🐟

Days 86-92 (17th-23rd June)

This week has gone by extremely fast and I can't even think what I've done to make it pass so quickly. Good job I can look back through my journal and photos to remember. All I know is that we had some heavy rain earlier in the week and for a moment it felt almost wintery, but we have now returned to hot and sunny weather 🌞 It looks like the end of the lockdown blogs is somewhere in the not too distant future after Boris's big announcement yesterday...but the good news is that after months of waiting we can now start to plan our wedding again! 


I have been baking more this week, firstly I made some cow coat cupcakes (inside they have blobs of chocolate and vanilla sponge like a spotty cow πŸ„ but I forgot to photograph that bit!). I also made another loaf of sourdough, and a rhubarb cake! I've never had rhubarb in a cake before but I had some to use up and I wanted to make something other than crumble again. It's very yummy!

Why do these look like a 7 year old made them for the school cake sale lol.



I spent ages trying to stake up my syngonium which has gone crazy and massive. I thought it would help to make it grow upwards but I didn't have a moss pole so attempted to make one out of bamboo and string. It looks quite ugly but we'll see how it goes.


Dad went fishing again this week and we had some mackerel for a lil Father's Day lunch with 3/4 of the siblings. You can't get much fresher than that, as my dad says: "these were swimming around this morning!". Mackerel have really pretty blue patterns on their backs.


I was tidying the bookshelf this week and found Of Mice and Men, I'd never read it before so decided to see what I'd been missing. After that I started rereading The Great Gatsby which I studied for A Levels. I've been out of the habit of reading for a few weeks because I put down a book which I got bored of and then lost my motivation, but reading some short books is getting me back in the game! On a rainy evening this week Ed and I had a reading sesh in the conservatory, it was very cosy with the rain drumming on the roof.

The snails had a nice spa treatment in the sink, I like rinsing the dirt off their shells to make them all shiny every now and again ✨✨✨



What else happened this week...my sister came round for a bike ride, Ed and I rewatched Little Women (and cried), we mowed the lawn, and tried (again) to make nice pancakes using sourdough starter but they always taste vinegary lol. We decided to just stick to real pancakes. My monstera is growing a new leaf, so that's the third this year! I am blessed. Also I watched The Truman Show and made this collage.


Bike ride views

As we mowed the lawn we realised our garden is a hot spot for grasshoppers.

Speaking of collages, I finished a few this week that I have been slowly working on for a while. I used cut-outs from Nat Geo, some fashion mags (including a 2012 Company mag RIP), and that nature book I found a few weeks ago. Now I look at them I think they may not be finished and I might add some text...we'll see! ✂️πŸ‹ 🎈 🐜




My dad built a pond this week! And we have some new fish friends! Their names are Hector and Salvador and they are very lovely fish. They enjoy many activities such as swimming, moving, splashing, staying still, eating, etc. I am attached to them already so I hope no neighbourhood cats or random herons eat them, I made them a little shelter so they can hide from predators.

Tom is their guardian.

Hector is more orange and Salvador has a little orange blob like a beret on his head.


In other news, I had my first McDonalds in many months. We had a spontaneous family gathering in the garden to consume burgers in the (boiling) sunshine amongst my mum's rainforest of fruit and veg plants! I tried my first ever Big Mac, a momentous day indeed! One to go down in history.

Al fresco fine dining, 10/10
In the past couple of days I have become a bit addicted to looking at second hand clothes on eBay (the charity shop withdrawals are getting to me again hElp). Partly because I never feel like I have comfortable clothes for summer, and partly because I'm bored of the same 3 t shirts I have been wearing throughout the whole of lockdown oops. On the topic of clothes, here are some pics I took this week...turns out the major theme of this blog post is fish (I DIDN'T PLAN THIS). This fish isn't real though obvs. These trousers were one of my best charity shop finds.



Last night Ed and I went for a 9pm prayer and cats walk. The sun was setting and the air was nice and still and not warm or cold. I love the summer evening light!





We saw 19 cats but only got to stroke about 3 of them, our favourite was this adorable black cat which was just the smallest cat we'd ever seen. It's hard to explain, it wasn't like a kitten but just a miniature cat!!! It's head was tiny and it had tiny ears and tiny legs and a tiny tail, it was so cute and honestly I nearly cried. And it purred!!! These pics just don't do justice to how small and special it was.




Then we came home and did communion with sourdough and some juice in egg cups. Sweet times.

A geranium cutting from last summer, flowering again.

Sparrows on a branch.

Bathroom magic.

πŸ€–

Ed dressed as a Twister.


Zoom house group times.

A big thank you to everyone who reads this and extra thank you for when you leave comments of appreciation and encouragement πŸ’› it means a looooot! Hope you're all safe and well and enjoying special moments amongst all the crazy.

I'm now thinking about fish and Salvador Dali so I'll leave you some juicy paintings right here!!!

Still life with Scorpion-Fish, 1922

Tuna Fishing, 1967

Hang on! I can't finish without some more pictures of the best boy Tom. Earlier in the week he had a mucky face and Ed said he looked like a little child in Oliver Twist haha. 

Sleeping on my crochet.

Sleeping on my mending pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment