Thursday 28 February 2019

Snake visits the gardens

The weather was beautiful yesterday so I decided to take my snake out for a photoshoot in the gardens at uni. You know you're at art school when you don't even get odd looks for carrying a giant snake through campus.





The yellow and green looks nice with the colours of the leaves and the sun shining through.





It made me happy that my snake really grabbed the attention of the little children that were in out with their families. The first little girl was having a conversation with her grandpa about whether it was a good snake or a bad snake, she thought it was a bad snake (poor snake, he's just misunderstood). The second little girl was quite curious and came closer to have a look. It made me think how cool it would be to set up a sort of exhibition in a public space, especially for children...but also I'm too protective of my creations to leave them unattended. 



These next pictures are some of my favourites, ahh the lovely purple crocuses. They make me think of Alice in Wonderland, or something equally whimsical.










Looking back over these pictures, I really like the abstract ones, I almost prefer them over the ones that are more obviously snake-like. It's just a squishy shape draped around natural forms, it could be a snake but maybe that's just your imagination.









There were some men working in the gardens nearby when I was taking these pictures, they started joking around about it and pretending it was real which was pretty funny. Then they began sharing stories amongst themselves about times they'd seen actual snakes, I like that it was a conversation starter for them. And I'm glad I took these pictures yesterday because today has been quite wet and windy, snake is now safely back in the warm and dry habitat of my studio. I'm working on a post about my current project / interests / experimentation, so hopefully that will be up soon 👋 au revoir for now. 

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I love that the snake was able to spark so many different conversations and bring a bright spot of whimsicality to people's day. How cool would it be to have a whole park filled with lots of different animals like this? Like a whole art exhibit you could walk through? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I've been thinking about that, wouldn't it be amazing!

      Delete