Friday 7 May 2021

Sunset walks with Juniper πŸŒ…

Hello again. It seems as soon as I got used to it being April, it became May and now I have no idea where April went. It's funny looking back at my posts from a year ago in lockdown 1 and seeing how sunny it was and how Ed and I went on loads of bike rides and warm evening walks...then this week we've had random frosts and blustering wind and hail. Strange May weather but at least it's not boring. 


My monstera has put out its first new leaf of the year, I've taken some time lapse photos which I'll share next time! I've also got lots of different cuttings rooting in jars of water (this one below is rhapidophora tetrasperma).


A visual representation of how quickly our nasturtium seedlings grew...they are now potted up and getting ready to be grown up outside plants:


Juniper in her two contrasting states, baby and huntress:


In order to inject some creativity into our routine, Ed and I have been doing Thursday night studio sessions, here are some quick drawings I did of Juniper (from photos not from life, she is far too energetic in the evenings lol):

 

Documenting the last of the church blossom...too good not to share it twice...


I went for my first trip to the recycling centre shop now that the non-essential places are open again. One of my favourite shopping venues! My one goal was to buy plant pots, as you can see I fulfilled my mission and even got a pot shaped like a donkey! Success ✅


Another recent endeavour was dyeing a bunch of boring white things in my wardrobe, including a stained tote bag and an old discoloured pillow case. I envisioned a less vibrant green but this was the only one they had at Trago Mills so I went with it! I now own a very loud green shirt which I haven't yet plucked up the courage to wear.



When the new houseplant deliveries come in at work I always have to check them out...I like to do the rounds and stroke the nice leaves and send Ed photos of the especially tempting ones. It's a good exercise in self-control.


Sleepy June...the second pic was taken during out housegroup zoom, she slept stretched out on my lap for about an hour. 


A couple of Sundays ago we went for a walk on Dartmoor with some friends, it was so nice to get out and see somewhere new.

Very cool spooky spanish moss 🌾


Bellever Tor

We found a lizard! And also a bloody-nosed beetle (google it!) It was a great day for nature spotting, I saw a jay and also on the drive home either a stoat or a weasel ran across the road in front of our car! There were some small pink flowers dotted around on the moor which I found out (after consulting my little wildflower book) is called lousewort.


Juniper looking pretty in dappled sunlight:


She developed a real taste for adventure the other week when we were busy in the garden, she found that she could get onto the shed roof and then miaowed her annoyance when we stopped her doing it again πŸ˜†


One sunny Tuesday morning Ed and I went for a shortish run (both doing the same circle in opposite directions and passing each other in the middle!) and it was soo pretty. I stopped to pick flowers and take photos quite a few times!


I found some tiny wild orchids!



My pair of socks is going well, as I type this I am almost finished on the second sock so will be able to share them next time πŸ˜„ (and that's Ed's bright pinky red azalea beside the sock, the camera doesn't capture the zingy colour!)


😴

We made some yummy shortbread last week (it didn't last very long) and then took Juniper for her first adventure away from home...


She definitely enjoyed exploring a little patch of Dartmoor! Whilst Ed and I were admiring the sunset and listening to a nearby cuckoo (very exciting), Juniper was more interested in smelling all the new things and tasting new grass. It was very sweet.


πŸ’›

Ed and his flute on a studio sesh Thursday.

This is my favourite spot in the house:


Our raised bed is looking very happy after the rain we've had recently, the potatoes have shot up and we've thinned out the many carrot and parsnip seedlings since this photo was taken:


We took Juni to the big field nearby and I think the long grass was her favourite thing, it was almost as tall as her! She also had her first experience in a tree and got to see a beautiful sunset (don't think she cared about that). On the way home we passed a couple of nice ladies and they were quite surprised to see a cat on my shoulder but thought it was a lovely thing to do.






Exciting news - my second peace lily is also producing a spathe right now! 


My peppermint muscari bulbs which I got for christmas are now blooming! I planted them in this jug and then they lived in the fridge for about 10 weeks before moving out onto a sunny windowsill. When they're finished I'll plant them out in the garden and hopefully we'll see some again next year!


This week's loaf 🌸🍞 we used wholemeal flour so it was quite tough and heavy but it meant that I could score a nice pattern into it! Next time we'll probably use half white and half wholemeal so it's a bit lighter.



Our five orchids are all flowering at the same time so I gathered them together for a family photo! 🌷


Exploring under the decking.

That's all for today! I hope you have a great day and that your plants are thriving πŸ˜„πŸŒΏπŸŒ±πŸŒ±πŸŒ± 

No comments:

Post a Comment