Tuesday 5 May 2020

Lockdown diaries - week 6 📚



Back again! 42 days down, roughly 60,480 minutes, or 3,628,800 seconds if you were counting. I wasn't, I just googled it because I thought it would be funny. We've seen a change in the weather this week which is actually quite exciting, it's been almost wintery at times, how novel! Speaking of novels, I finished one this week, you'll have to read on to find out more about that and also other fascinating fragments of my lockdown life. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I shall begin...

Day 36 (Tuesday 28th April) - got up and went for a two mile run in the rain (I almost didn't go but didn't want to cancel my only plan for the day) which turned out to be enjoyable, breakfast and Friends, knitting, wrote my week 5 blog post, had lunch and watched a chef programme with Dad (Alex Polizzi: Chef's on Trial), hoovered, spoke to Elli on the phone whilst doing some colouring, planted some seeds with Ed and moved my mystery bean plant outside because it's so big! Ate yum meatballs, followed by Dad's DIY trifle and watched Murder on the Orient Express (not as good as the book in my opinion). Then Ed and I watched Paul Hollywood Eats Japan.



I stole this meme from an IT Crowd fb group sorry

Day 37 (Wednesday 29th) - Ed and I prayed and did communion using squash in egg cups and homemade bread lol, breakfast and Friends, fed the snails and found 305 eggs when I was rummaging around! Spent a while gathering, counting, and sensitively disposing of them, then I tidied my room. Lunch and chef programme part 2, then we made bagels, went for a walk, then made scotch eggs for dinner, then zoom house group followed by some reading.




Tom snoozing on Ed during house group

Day 38 (Thursday 30th) - went for a run in the rain again, brekkie and Friends, washed some clothes, packed some clothes, watched The Great British Sewing Bee, lunch and the chef programme part 3 and knitting. Then I cleaned the bathroom whilst listening to a podcast, fixed my ripped (again) dungarees, drew, ate yum pasta for dins, watched The Good Life with hot chocolate and marshmallows. Then Ed and I watched Captain Fantastic which lead to some great conversation. 

The blanket is progressing well


Day 39 (Friday 1st MAY) - breakfast and Friday Night Dinner, then Ed and I cleaned and polished our cars allll morning, then lunch and the final of the chef programme! I watered my plants, drew, read my book, then we went for a walk, leftovers for tea, then we watched Stan and Ollie and ate junket (google it! eek), then Ed and I watched Gardeners' World. I stayed up late ish because I had to finish my book I'll Never Be Young Again by Daphne du Maurier, a quote from my journal "I thought I didn't like this book because the main character was awful but SUCH A TWIST! SO MANY TWISTS! Turned out to be an incredible book!.....How does Daphne write like this?! In the 1930s!! Mad."

Shiny car



Day 40 (Saturday 2nd) - went for a run round the block with Ed, made drop scone/pancakes for breakfast and watched Saturday Morning Kitchen, I started working on a video, packed some more clothes, then lunch and Friday Night Dinner. Then did some reading and my doll arrived in the post! Packed books, spent a while fixing my broken bed with Dad, then had a nice dinner followed by a zoom call with some of my old school friends! It ended up going on for 5 hours lol. Very fun, lots of laughs and memories.



Day 41 (Sunday 3rd) - woke up with a headache for some reason (maybe all the zooming), brekkie and church livestream which we played on the TV! Had a church zoom, then lunch and reading, then I finished my drawing. We went for a walk and saw some collared dove fledglings which was very sweet. I read, then videocalled with my fam, yum pork for dinner, then phoned the siblings with Dad, then made a cuppa and zoomed with Ed's family. Many family catchups today! Finished off with some reading.

Ed at the Eden Project (July 2019 mems)


Day 42 (Monday 4th) - woke up and went for an earlyish run, breakfast and Friday Night Dinner, collected the hair clippers back from my brother and then went to Asda, then had some jobs to do at the house such as cutting the grass which had become a jungle. When we got home I checked the snails (now that I know they are capable of reproducing I must keep an eye), photographed my newly opened monstera deliciosa leaf, then had soup for dinner with The One Show. Ed and I watched our beloved Grayson's Art Club, followed by Killing Eve (yikes, that episode).


Extra info:

  • I have found the cure for my running boredom is to listen to a great podcast. It doesn't matter how many times I've run the same local route if my mind is elsewhere! Also the chilly, drizzly weather has added a bit of spice to the running routine.
  • I hit a 100 day streak on the Bible app! I only started using it regularly last year and am loving the daily devotionals you can do. My current one is The Bible Project's Bible in a year, it is SO helpful having their videos interspersed among the readings. I am currently up to 1 Chronicles and am finding that although I have read the Bible before, this time I am really understanding the context of each book a lot more and am taking more in whereas before I might have struggled to see their relevance to my life or how they relate to the rest of the Bible. I realised I never mention my daily reading in these blog posts because it's just part of my morning routine like cleaning my teeth and it doesn't cross my mind but maybe I should document it more.


  • Yes, the snails laid a big load of eggs! It was quite an exciting surprise, and I was glad of the confirmation that I am keeping them in adequate, cosy conditions. BUT I am not in the position to be able to feed and house 305 fully grown giant snails (imagine that!) so had to freeze the eggs so that they won't develop. 
If you've ever wondered what a Giant African Land Snail egg looks like 
  • Tom has been sneezing this week but is otherwise fine and behaving normally so I'm hoping the sneezing will go away by itself.


  • I'm currently reading a book called The Blessings of a Good Thick Skirt by Mary Russell, which I picked up second hand last year because I thought it looked intriguing. It's about female adventurers.
  • A few weeks ago I mentioned I'd gotten a bit addicted to looking at vintage dolls on eBay because I was missing browsing the charity shops...well this boy is the result of all my scrolling. It was the first time I've ever bidded on anything on eBay so it was a learning experience. But £5 for a doll from the 1950s is pretty good I think! No rude comments about his odd eyes please, I don't want him to feel self-conscious.


Good bye from us x

No comments:

Post a Comment